Van gogh and theo relationship quizzes

Vincent van Gogh Trivia Questions & Answers | Art World Figures

van gogh and theo relationship quizzes

A new collection of Van Gogh's letters redefines our view of the artist, the letters expose in their relationship – Vincent accuses Theo of not. All you want to know about Vincent van Gogh in questions and answers. Rosana Dantas asks what Vincent's relationship was with the Roulin family. # 93/ Did Theo convince Vincent to paint using brighter colours in Paris?. Read the story and discover the special relationship between Vincent and his in Van Gogh's life was triggered by his younger brother Theo, who advised.

His ambivalence did not deter van Gogh, who quickly immersed himself in preparing the Yellow House for Gauguin's arrival, decorating the guest room with fine furnishings and his recent paintings of radiant sunflower bouquets. Throughout the summer and into the early autumn, Gauguin and van Gogh exchanged letters, sharing their ideas and descriptions of their current work. By the end of October, when Gauguin finally arrived in Arles, van Gogh was overwrought with anticipation.

At first Gauguin proved a calming presence, taking over the household chores, cooking nourishing meals, and fascinating van Gogh with tales of his travels with the merchant marines.

Van Gogh took Gauguin to his favorite painting sites in Arles where they worked together. Gauguin's powerful image of spirituality in Brittany, Vision After the Sermoninspired van Gogh to be even bolder in his color and his composition, as seen in his reinterpretation of The Sower, a longstanding favorite motif. As the weeks passed, and inclement weather forced them to work more often in the cramped confines of the Yellow House, their different views often led to heated debates.

Gauguin urged van Gogh to rely more on his memory and imagination, but van Gogh remained firmly committed to working in the open air, in front of his model. In his letters to Theo, van Gogh described his struggle to incorporate Gauguin's suggestions into his method.

Gauguin was more blunt, writing to their mutual friend Bernard that Arles fell short of his expectations, and that he and van Gogh did not see eye to eye. According to Gauguin's account, on the evening of December 23,van Gogh confronted him with a razor, demanding to know if he intended to leave Arles.

Question by author kate He was the eldest of six siblings but his mother, Anna had given birth to a stillborn son, also called Vincent, on March 30, This was a coincidence that could possibly help to account for Vincent's morbidity later in life. Van Gogh and Theo click to play it.

van gogh and theo relationship quizzes

Question by author robert The death of an infant child The first child born to the parents, Vincent Van Gogh, was stillborn. The man we know as Vincent Van Gogh was born one year later. Van Gogh click to play it. Question by author willywonka. He had an older brother who was stillborn. What happened in December of to lead to his self-mutilation? He was upset after an argument Only the argument with Gauguin actually ever happened.

He never married or had children, although he once wrote that he considered his paintings to be his children. Despite van Gogh's admiration for Gauguin, and his desire that the two of them set up an artists' colony, it seems that the relationship was strained due to clashes of temperament. Gauguin arrived to stay on October 23, ; the famous argument, during the course of which van Gogh threatened Gauguin with a razor, occurred on December 28, Unfortunately, living with his brother also resulted in a great deal of tension between the two.

In addition, Paris itself was not without its temptations and much of Vincent's two years there was spent in unhealthy extremes: As was often the case throughout his life, poor weather during the winter months left Vincent irritable and depressed.

Never was Vincent more happy then when he was outdoors communing with nature when the weather was at its finest. Whether painting or simply taking long walks, Vincent van Gogh lived for the sun. During the bleak winter months in Paris of Van Gogh became restless. And the same pattern was re-emerging. Van Gogh's two years in Paris had a tremendous impact on his ongoing evolution as an artist. But he had acquired what he was seeking and it was time to move on. Never truly happy in large cities, Vincent decided to leave Paris and follow the sun, and his destiny, south.

The Studio of the South Vincent van Gogh moved to Arles in early propelled by a number of reasons. Weary of the frenetic energy of Paris and the long months of winter, Van Gogh sought the warm sun of Provence.

Van Gogh: in his own words

Another motivation was Vincent's dream of establishing a kind of artists' commune in Arles where his comrades in Paris would seek refuge and where they would work together and support each other toward a common goal. Van Gogh took the train from Paris to Arles on 20 February heartened by his dreams for a prosperous future and amused by the passing landscape which he felt looked more and more Japanese the further south he travelled.

No doubt Van Gogh was disappointed with Arles during his first few weeks there. In search of the sun, Vincent found Arles unusually cold and dusted with snow. This must have been discouraging to Vincent who had left everyone he knew behind in order to seek warmth and restoration in the south. Still, the harsh weather was short lived and Vincent began to paint some of the best loved works of his career. Once the temperature had risen, Vincent wasted no time in beginning his labours outdoors.

van gogh and theo relationship quizzes

Note the two complimentary works: The drawing was produced in March and the trees and landscape appear somewhat bleak after winter. The painting, however, executed a month later shows the very first spring buds on the trees. During this time Van Gogh painted a series of blossoming orchards. Vincent was pleased with his productivity and, like the orchards, felt renewed.

The months to follow would be happy ones. Vincent wouldn't actually move into the Yellow House until September, in preparation for establishing it as the base for his "Studio of the South. Van Gogh is often perceived today as an irritable and solitary figure. But he really did enjoy the company of people and did his best during these months to make friends--both for companionship and also to pose as much valued models.

Vincent never lost hope in the prospect of establishing the artists' commune and began a campaign to encourage Paul Gauguin to join him in the south. The prospect appeared unlikely, however, because Gauguin's relocation would require even more financial assistance from Theo who had reached his limit. This financial influx would enable Theo to sponsor Gauguin's move to Arles. Theo was motivated both as a concerned brother and also as a business man.

van gogh and theo relationship quizzes

Theo felt that Vincent would be happier and more stable in the company of Gauguin and also Theo had hopes that the paintings he would receive from Gauguin, in exchange for his support, would turn a profit. Unlike Vincent, Paul Gauguin was beginning to see a small degree of success from his works. Despite the improved state of Theo's financial affairs, Vincent nevertheless remained true to form and spent a disproportionate amount of his money on art supplies instead of the basic necessities of life.

Malnourished and overworked, Van Gogh's health declined early October, but he was heartened upon receiving confirmation that Gauguin would join him in the south. Vincent worked hard to prepare the Yellow House in order to make Gauguin feel welcome. Gauguin arrived in Arles by train early on 23 October.

The next two months would be pivotal, and disastrous, for both Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin. Initially Van Gogh and Gauguin got on well together, painting on the outskirts of Arles, discussing their art and differing techniques.

Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin | HowStuffWorks

As the weeks passed, however, the weather deteriorated and the pair found themselves compelled to stay indoors more and more frequently. As always, Vincent's temperament and most likely Gauguin's as well fluctuated to match the weather. Forced to work indoors, Vincent's depression was assuaged, however, when he was encouraged and stimulated by a series of portraits he undertook. Those paintings, of the Roulin familyremain among his best loved works.

The relationship between Van Gogh and Gauguin deteriorated throughout December, however. Their heated arguments became more and more frequent--"electric" as Vincent would describe them. Relations between the pair declined in tandem with Vincent's state of mental health.

On 23 December Vincent van Gogh, in an irrational fit of madness, mutilated the lower portion of his left ear. He severed the lobe with a razor, wrapped it in cloth and then took it to a brothel and presented it to one of the women there. Vincent then staggered back to the Yellow House where he collapsed. After sending a telegram to Theo, Gauguin left immediately for Paris, choosing not to visit Van Gogh in the hospital.

Van Gogh and Gauguin would later correspond from time to time, but would never meet in person again. During his time in the hospital, Vincent was under the care of Dr. The week following the ear mutilation was critical for Van Gogh--both mentally and physically. He had suffered a great deal of blood loss and continued to suffer serious attacks in which he was incapacitated.

Van Gogh’s Letters…

Theo, who had rushed down from Paris, was sure that Vincent would die, but by the end of December and the early days of January, Vincent made a nearly full recovery. The first weeks of would not be easy for Vincent van Gogh. After his recovery, Vincent returned to his Yellow House, but continued to visit Dr. Rey for examinations and to have his head dressings changed. Vincent was encouraged by his progress after the breakdown, but his money problems continued and he felt particularly depressed when his close friend, Joseph Roulindecided to accept a better paying position and move with his family to Marseilles.

Roulin had been a dear and faithful friend to Vincent for most of his time in Arles. Vincent was quite productive in terms of his art throughout January and early February, producing some of his best known works such as La Berceuse and Sunflowers. On 7 February, however, Vincent suffered another attack in which he imagined himself being poisoned.

Van Gogh was kept in the hospital for ten days, but returned once again to the Yellow House, provisionally: Vincent remained in the hospital for the next six weeks, but was allowed to leave on supervised outings--in order to paint and to put his possessions into storage.

It was a productive, but emotionally discouraging time for Van Gogh. As was the case a year before, Van Gogh returned to painting the blossoming orchards around Arles. Van Gogh left Arles on 8 May. Confinement Upon arrival at the asylum, Van Gogh was placed in the care of Dr. After examining Vincent and reviewing the case, Dr. Peyron was convinced that his patient was suffering from a type of epilepsy--a diagnosis that remains among the most likely possibilities, even today.

Bothers - Vincent Van Gogh and Theo

The asylum was by no means a "snake pit," but Van Gogh was disheartened by the cries of the other residents and the bad food. He found it depressing that the patients had nothing to do all day--no stimulation of any kind.

Part of Van Gogh's treatment included "hydro-therapy", a frequent immersion in a large tub of water. While this "therapy" was certainly not cruel in any way, neither was it in the least beneficial in terms of helping to restore Vincent's mental health. As the weeks passed, Vincent's mental well-being remained stable and he was allowed to resume painting.

van gogh and theo relationship quizzes

The staff was encouraged by Van Gogh's progress or, at least, at his not suffering any additional attacks and in mid-June Van Gogh produced his best known work: Van Gogh's relatively tranquil state of mind didn't last, however, and he was incapacitated by another attack in mid-July.

During this attack Vincent tried to ingest his own paints and for that reason he was confined and not given access to his materials. Although he recovered fairly quickly from the incident, Van Gogh was discouraged at being deprived of the one thing that gave him pleasure and distraction: After another week, Dr.

Peyron relented and agreed to allow Van Gogh to resume his painting. His resumption of work coincided with an improved mental state. Vincent sent Theo letters detailing his precarious state of health; while at the same time Theo had similar issues to deal with. Theo's health had often been delicate and he had been ill throughout much of early For two months Van Gogh was unable to leave his room and wrote to his sister: He expressed these thoughts to Theo who began to make inquiries of possible alternatives for Vincent's medical care--this time much closer to Paris.

Van Gogh's mental and physical health remained fairly stable throughout the remainder of Theo's health had recovered for the most part and, in the midst of preparing a home with his new wife, Theo was also assisting Octave Maus who was organizing an exhibition, Les XX, in Brussels in which six of Vincent's paintings would be displayed.

Vincent seemed enthusiastic about the venture and remained quite productive throughout this time. The ongoing correspondence between Vincent and Theo worked out many of the details surrounding Vincent's showing within the exhibit.

On 23 Decembera year to the day after the ear slashing incident, Vincent suffered another attack: The attack was serious and lasted about a week, but Vincent recovered reasonably quickly and resumed painting--this time mainly copies of other artists' works, due to being confined inside, both because of his mental health and also because of the weather. Sadly, Van Gogh suffered more attacks throughout the early months of These attacks came more frequently and left Vincent more incapacitated than any of those previously.